Re: Problem contacting Firefox from Emacs daemon started as systemd serv

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Problem contacting Firefox from Emacs daemon started as systemd service
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2021 09:04:15 +0200

> From: Sébastien Gendre <seb@k-7.ch>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 21:53:32 +0100
>
> If I run the Firefox command from a shell in Emacs, I got the same
> problem as when I try to open an url from Emacs.

Maybe some shell alias is involved?

I don't have a complete and ready solution to your problem, it's
something you will have to investigate.  I thought I'd give you the
information I do have to point you in the right direction, since you
said you don't find anything pertinent on the Internet.  The problem
here is that you need to tell Firefox to use the existing running
instance to display the new URL.  Both browse-url-browser-function
and/or browse-url-default-browser should be taught to do that.  I
suggest to try using browse-url-firefox as your first step.  If that
works, customize browse-url-browser-function to use it.  If that
doesn't work, I suggest to search the Firefox Help information for the
solution to this problem, starting from the error message you get.