Re: finding stuff

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: finding stuff
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2021 10:22:26 +0300

* Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> [2021-01-24 08:34]:
> If I understand your needs correctly, 'apropos' will give you some of
> what you want. However it won't search the info files, news, etc.
>
> But actually for learning how to do something, web search really is
> the best option.

For specific stuff the web search provides solutions.

For general stuff people shall start with:

1. TUTORIAL under Help - Emacs Tutorial or {C-h t}

2. The Emacs Editor manual: (info "(emacs) Top")

3. An Introduction to Programming in Emacs Lisp: (info "(eintr) Top")

4. Emacs Lisp manual: (info "(elisp) Top")

5. Using the menu item Help.

To search all info files use {M-x info-apropos RET} or click within

If one wants to index various files on system then person can use
desktop indexing software. That will not nicely help with Emacs
variables and functions. But it could help by at least locating where
some information exists.

Beagle - Quickly find the stuff you care about.
http://beagle-project.org/

Recoll is a desktop full-text search tool.
https://www.lesbonscomptes.com/recoll/

Tracker is a filesystem indexer, metadata storage system and search tool
https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Tracker

Terrier is a highly flexible, efficient, and effective open source search engine
http://www.terrier.org/

NEPOMUK - The Social Semantic Desktop
https://nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/

Jean