Re: [External] : Re: finding stuff

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: finding stuff
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 02:38:50 +0100

Bob Newell wrote:

> Using menus is for anyone who wishes and/or likes to do so,
> and as mentioned elsewhere, they do have the great advantage
> of allowing for learning by discovery (this is especially
> true if you use Gnus).
>
> I don't use them myself, not because of a fear of being
> labeled, and certainly not because I already know everything
> (I prove daily that I'm forever learning). I don't use menus
> because for me they get in the way by taking up screen
> space, being distracting, and generally requiring reaching
> for the mouse. But my use case is not necessarily
> anyone else's.

I don't ever use the mouse but other than that I agree 100% :)

But ... this is a mere interface issue/detail and shouldn't be
a dispute, TEHO.

Rather, what _are_ the best ways of "fining stuff", in general
I mean? Is there a unified function to look everywhere and to
give an output with hints/links where to look next, an output
that may point to emacs(1), tutorials, manuals, the Wiki,
maybe even sites like the Emacs SX, furthermore docstrings,
FAQs, all you can think of and all that exists? If so,
I didn't see it! (Well, if it exists, maybe I could use it to
find it, even!)

What I can think of ... what I use ... that doesn't do that
but are still very useful ... are

  `apropos'
  `apropos-command'
  `apropos-value'