RE: [External] : Re: finding stuff

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: finding stuff
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2021 18:43:18 +0000

> > Anecdotally based on comments in Emacs mailing lists, the proportion
> of Emacs users who turn off the menu-bar seems quite large.
>
> Or maybe the people that do so are just very vociferous about it?

Maybe so.  But I've followed not only the mailing lists but also various
Emacs-help websites (e.g. EmacsWiki, emacs.StackExchange, Reddit), and that's
my impression from 35 years of that.  (Well, maybe 30, since menus weren't
there at the beginning, IIRC; and maybe 20 or less for the websites).

> I have kept the menu bar.  Ever since I learned that C-h k followed by
> selecting a menu item reveals the menu item's underpinnings, the menus
> became a learning tool and not a WYSIAYG thing.

Definitely.

That, BTW, is also something I wish we had a good/better way of making better
known.  It's not necessarily obvious to users that they can use `C-h k' with
mouse actions, including use of menus.