Re: How to profile restoring from .emacs.desktop

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: How to profile restoring from .emacs.desktop
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2021 14:08:10 -0500

> But a deep analysis probably isn't necessary, opening the biggest nodes
> in the profile, it's pretty obvious that the biggest culprit is
> projectile-discover-projects-in-directory the function it calls, with
> the biggest chunks, before it all breaks down into many small things,
> are projectile-serialize and projectile-difference.
>
> So it's projectile project discovery that spends most of the time.
> I wonder if that information can be cached...?

I don't use Projectile and never looked at its code, so I can't
answer that.  I don't know either how Projectile compares to Emacs's
builtin support for projects (tho I expect it's significantly more
featureful), but you may want to try that builtin support instead of
Projectile to see if it suffers from a similar problem, and/or if it
provides the subset of features you happen to use.

        Stefan