Re: How to profile restoring from .emacs.desktop

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: How to profile restoring from .emacs.desktop
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2021 17:58:07 -0500

> The caching didn't seem to have much effect.  See the opened profiling
> below.
>
> C-h v projectile-enable-caching says:
>  projectile-enable-caching is a variable defined in ‘projectile.el’.
>  Its value is t
>  Original value was nil
>
> (ie. the variable was successfully set)

You might want to file a bug report with the maintainer of Projectile, then.
Clearly, your profile indicates that it's doing "too much work".

>> I don't know either how Projectile compares to Emacs's builtin support
>> for projects (tho I expect it's significantly more featureful), but
>> you may want to try that builtin support instead of Projectile to see
>> if it suffers from a similar problem, and/or if it provides the subset
>> of features you happen to use.
>
> Sounds interesting.
>
> I've googled this as well and the one hit I found was emacs 28:
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Projects.html
>
> Is this emacs 28 only?

It was introduced in Emacs-25, with extremely limited functionality.
Its functionality has grown a bit since, but it's still very minimal.
It's more thought as something on top of which other tools (like xref)
can provide features.

> (I'm still on emacs 26 and 27)

I think there was nothing new for it in Emacs-26, but Emacs-27 did spice
it up a bit (check the NEWS file for more info).

        Stefan