Re: How to profile restoring from .emacs.desktop

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: How to profile restoring from .emacs.desktop
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 23:05:04 +0100

> You might want to file a bug report with the maintainer of Projectile, then.
> Clearly, your profile indicates that it's doing "too much work".

Turns out this was a user error.

I had this setting in ~/.emacs:
 (setq projectile-project-search-path '("~/workspaces/" "~/git/"))

This causes projectile to scan all of the subdirectories of those
directories for project on startup.

And there are a *lot* of project directories to scan under those!

When I removed this setting (defaults to nil), desktop restored in a
much shorter time.

Here's the results of profiler-report from desktop restore, opened on
the interesting nodes:

- normal-top-level                                              20214  91%
 - command-line                                                 20214  91%
  - command-line-1                                              20206  91%
   - eval                                                       20206  91%
    - progn                                                     20206  91%
     - desktop-read                                             20206  91%
      - load                                                    20040  90%
       - load-with-code-conversion                              20040  90%
        - eval-buffer                                           20026  90%
         - desktop-create-buffer                                19978  90%
          - desktop-restore-file-buffer                          8029  36%
           - find-file-noselect                                  7865  35%
            - find-file-noselect-1                               4813  21%
             - after-find-file                                   4621  20%
              + run-hooks                                        2564  11%
              + normal-mode                                      2020   9%
              + auto-save-mode                                     20   0%
             + file-truename                                      134   0%
             + insert-file-contents                                17   0%
               abbreviate-file-name                                 4   0%
            + create-file-buffer                                  433   1%
            + find-buffer-visiting                                292   1%
            + file-truename                                       210   0%
              abbreviate-file-name                                 42   0%
           + switch-to-buffer                                     147   0%
          + projectile-mode                                      5696  25%
          + dired-restore-desktop-buffer                         3839  17%
          + bury-buffer                                          1411   6%
          + rename-buffer                                         466   2%
          + desktop-load-file                                     359   1%
          + auto-revert-mode                                       62   0%
          + flycheck-mode                                          12   0%
            visual-line-mode                                        6   0%
            editorconfig-mode                                       5   0%
            buffer-list                                             2   0%
         + internal-macroexpand-for-load                           12   0%
        + do-after-load-evaluation                                 12   0%
      + desktop-restore-frameset                                  162   0%
      + byte-code                                                   4   0%
  + lisp-interaction-mode                                           4   0%
+ ...                                                            1360   6%
+ timer-event-handler                                             486   2%
+ command-execute                                                  98   0%
+ redisplay_internal (C function)                                  34   0%
+ flycheck-handle-signal                                            4   0%