Re: Patch request - menu modifications

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: Patch request - menu modifications
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2021 15:52:54 -0800

moasenwood--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> David Masterson wrote:
>
>> I'd like to request two simple changes to the basic Emacs
>> menus:
>>
>> 1. Add dired-quit ('q') to the dired menus. It would make it
>> easier to traverse a directory tree using just the mouse
>> (click directory to descend and click dired-quit to return
>> up). To me, it is not obvious which menu to put it in.
>
> Interesting ... I don't even have "dired-quit", q meanwhile is
> `quit-window', which isn't dired specific ... certainly it
> doesn't help you "descend", it buries the buffer!

You're right -- I got it wrong!  (Could've swore it was dired-quit...)

> Maybe you look for `dired-up-directory'?

Didn't know that one, but that might work.

> (Here, it depends how you visualize the file system hierarchy,
> I think ./ is _downmost_, like the basic element [1], but some
> people think it it is the top node in a tree-like
> data structure.)

My goal is to 'f' into a directory and 'q' to exit a directory using
only the menu.  That would make the menu complete for walking the
directory tree. (I'm considering changing <mouse-1> to dired-find-file)

>> 2. Add kill-this-buffer to the "Buffers" menu. The funny
>> thing is that where-is reports it as "<menu-bar> <file>
>> <kill-buffer>", but I don't see it there.
>
> `C-x k' `kill-buffer' ... so the menu has its own functions, now?
>
> kill-this-buffer:
>
>   This command can be reliably invoked only from the menu bar,
>   otherwise it could decide to silently do nothing.
>
> "it could decide"? ??? Okay?

kill-this-buffer seems better so it doesn't take input. This could be
used to clean up buffers from walking the dir tree.

--
David Masterson