Re: cannot ssh edit a file

From: Tim Visher
Subject: Re: cannot ssh edit a file
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 11:45:12 -0500

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 11:01 AM Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 4:06 PM Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de>
> wrote:
> > No. The traces do not seem to be produced with tramp-verbose 10. And
> > they are not complete.
>
> I don't know exatly what you mean by complete, however I started emacs
> as follows:
>
> % /opt/emacs/emacs26.3/bin/emacs -Q --eval '(setq tramp-verbose 10)'
>
> and ssh-ed into the machine. I waiting for many minutes, because Emacs
> is frozen, then C-g and switched to the buffer. I attach the log.

Based on the log here it looks like you are connecting to `luca@miguel` and
receiving back some odd text, namely:

```
16:56:45.839707 tramp-accept-process-output (10) # *tramp/ssh luca@miguel*
run nil
Last login: Mon Feb 22 15:58:27 2021 from n261732
%

[45mluca@miguel [49m [35m~ [37m % [39m [49m [?2004h
```

which I think indicates that whatever you did to correct your prompt on the
remote machine isn't working.

This is the exact command that TRAMP is using to attempt the connection:

```
ssh -l luca  -o ControlMaster=auto -o ControlPath='tramp.%C' -o
ControlPersist=no -e none miguel
```

Are you able to connect from a shell using that command?