Re: Time of last command invoked

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: Time of last command invoked
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2021 06:17:18 +0000

>>> Is there some internal log in Emacs that keeps the date and
>>> time of last command invoked by a key or M-x?
>> That would imply a huge overhead.
>
> Not really, no.
> We already keep a log of the keys and commands (as used for `C-h l`),
> so it's a small matter of adding timestamps in there.
>
> But given the way this is currently implemented, it would have to be
> done in the C code, I think.

I think this depends on what Jean Louis wants.  There are different
possible interpretations.

For just M-x it wouldn't be so difficult.  That would just mean
replacing execute-extended-command with something that records the time
somewhere.  The problem is that other keys.

If it means a function that's activated directly then it seems possible.
Every key that doesn't do "self-insert-command" could be remapped to a
different command.  That command could record the key pressed before
handing over to the usual command.  That would be tricky though, and
would break some Emacs features like C-h k.  It would be a lot of work
and I don't think it would be worth it.

BR,
Robert Thorpe