Re: what means "intervals".

From: Okam
Subject: Re: what means "intervals".
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2021 04:03:29 +0000

On 3/8/21 10:30 PM, Takesi Ayanokoji wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question (perhaps a basic English question) about the term
> "intervals" used in elisp manual.
>
> This term is used in chapter: Text > section: Text Properties > subsection:
> Why Text Properties are not Intervals.
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Not-Intervals.html#index-intervals
>
> I Googled this, but I couldn't other meaning but "some amount between two
> points".
>
> So I guessed this is "inter-" + "values" means  "internal values".
>
> Am I correct?
>
> Thanks.

Hello,

The definition that you found in the correct one. The "interval" is
defined by a beginning position and an ending position in the buffer.
The text found between these two positions is an interval of text.

I read this section as saying that some editors support adding
attributes to text by first defining a range of positions and then
specifying what properties that range of positions should have. Emacs,
on the other hand, works differently, and does not use the concept of a
distinct "interval" object to describe the attributes of text in the buffer.