Re: Pyenv and Jupyter integration with emacs.

From: Skip Montanaro
Subject: Re: Pyenv and Jupyter integration with emacs.
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 07:03:37 -0600

> On Ubuntu 20.04, I use pyenv, <https://github.com/pyenv/pyenv>, as the
> python version management tool, and Jupyter (formerly known as
> ipython) to write notebook. Currently, I consider migrating to Emacs
> as a python development environment. I've searched and found the
> following relevant projects on GitHub:
>
> https://github.com/millejoh/emacs-ipython-notebook
> https://github.com/nnicandro/emacs-jupyter
> https://github.com/twlz0ne/shim.el
>
> But I myself haven't any experience on this filed. Could you please
> kindly give me some hints/suggestions?

I don't have any experience with these packages either. I installed
emacs-jupyter, but was initially stymied trying to get started. I
eventually got jupyter-connect-repl to work by tracking down one of the
kernel-mumble-mumble.json files in ~/.local/share/jupyter/runtime, e.g.
kernel-eed594bc-6480-40b4-b8e2-4c56d2f6bf29.json. Here's the one I
referenced:

{
  "shell_port": 37041,
  "iopub_port": 58707,
  "stdin_port": 41637,
  "control_port": 42543,
  "hb_port": 44903,
  "ip": "127.0.0.1",
  "key": "69964a9c-9cc1c1cd6bb7b925c4649648",
  "transport": "tcp",
  "signature_scheme": "hmac-sha256",
  "kernel_name": ""
}

Note the empty kernel_name. I have two notebooks open in my browser at the
moment and see no way to name them from that interface. I had to try
evaluating existing objects in the kernel to figure out which one I was
talking to. Not sure whose problem that is, but it seems a bit clunky.

This has to be (at least marginally) better than interacting with the
kernels through a web browser, just because you have Emacs functionality at
your keyboard.

Skip