Re: Pyenv and Jupyter integration with emacs.

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Pyenv and Jupyter integration with emacs.
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 17:46:07 +0100

On Thu, Mar 11 2021, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
> On Ubuntu 20.04, I use pyenv, <https://github.com/pyenv/pyenv>, as the
> python version management tool, and Jupyter (formerly known as
> ipython) to write notebook. Currently, I consider migrating to Emacs
> as a python development environment. I've searched and found the
> following relevant projects on GitHub:
>
> https://github.com/millejoh/emacs-ipython-notebook
> https://github.com/nnicandro/emacs-jupyter
> https://github.com/twlz0ne/shim.el

I don't know shim.el or xenv, so I can't say anything about that.

I have used emacs-ipython-notebook (EIN for short) a year or two back, and
although I didn't use it for very long, my impressions were positive. It dates
from the time that Jupyter was still IPython, hence the name, but it is still
updated regularly, so I wouldn't be put off by the name.

EIN is a package that aims to mimic the Jupyter Notebook experience in Emacs. It
reads and writes .ipynb files, so it allows you to switch between Emacs and a
browser for working on your project.

I have never used emacs-jupyter, but from what I've read on the website, it has
a different aim: it's is a package to manage Jupyter kernels from Emacs. It is
essentially a library (i.e., a package intended to be used by other packages).

It does offer two front-ends (meant for users): a REPL and ob-jupyter, to
integrate it with org-mode. With `ob-jupyter`, you can recreate the user
experience of a Jupyter notebook (in fact, org-mode is much more powerful than
a Jupyter notebook), but the files you create aren't in `.ipynb` format, so
there is no direct interoperability with Jupyter Notebooks.

You may be able to convert .ipynb files to Org with Pandoc, I don't know, but if
interoperability is a concern, you should probably stick to EIN.

HTH

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments