Re: Unable to a new branch with VC commit

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Unable to a new branch with VC commit
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 15:21:12 +0100

    >> From: Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com>
    >> Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 10:50:10 +0100
    >> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
    >>
    >> Neither git nor Mercurial fall under the "On centralized version
    >> control systems" clause of the 'Creating New Branches'
    >> documentation.

    Eli> Is there any good reason why "C-u C-x v v" won't work for a dVCS?
    Eli> There's an advantage in keeping the UI consistent as much as
    Eli> reasonably practical, even though the two VCS types are very
    Eli> different.

I donʼt see why it shouldn't. Someone just needs to add the right
incantations to vc-git-checkin and vc-hg-checkin (and maybe
vc-bazaar-checkin), and deprecate the vc-create-tag branch-creating
usage.

    >> You should be able to create a branch on both git and
    >> Mercurial by doing 'C-u C-x v s', which runs 'vc-create-tag'.

    Eli> vc-create-tag is a strange name for making a branch, which probably
    Eli> doesn't help discoverability.

I donʼt know the original rationale: Iʼve forgotten everything I ever
learned about the equivalence of tags and branches in RCS/CVS :-)

Robert