Re: How to extract bindings from `pcase-let*`?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: How to extract bindings from `pcase-let*`?
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 22:45:32 -0400

>        (pcase-let* ((`(let* ,temp-vars (let ,true-vars . ,_))
>                      (macroexpand `(pcase-let* ((,var ,val)) ,var))))
>          (list temp-vars true-vars)))

Indeed it's not reliable: for a case like

    (pcase-let (((or `(inorder ,x ,y) `(reverse ,y ,x)) FOO))
      (cons x y))

it will generate code comparable to

    (if (eq (car FOO) 'inorder)
        (cons (nth 1 FOO) (nth 2 FOO))
      (cons (nth 2 FOO) (nth 1 FOO))

[ Just obfuscated with gensym'd vars and such ]

And if you replace the trivial (cons x y) with something less trivial it
will turn into something comparable to:

    (let ((body (lambda (x y) <something-less-trivial>)))
      (if (eq (car FOO) 'inorder)
          (funcall body (nth 1 FOO) (nth 2 FOO))
        (funcall body (nth 2 FOO) (nth 1 FOO))))

so it's far from clear how to represent this kind of code in the form of
"a list of bindings that can be substituted into forms like `setq` or
`let*`"

OTOH, I think `pcase.el` could offer a function which could take
a "buildbody" function as argument, where that buildbody would receive
something like the list (x y) and would be expected to return the
(lambda (x y) <something-less-trivial>) to use.  So you could pass it a
"buildbody"
function which takes the list (x y) and returns something like
(lambda (tmp1 tmp2) (setq x tmp1 y tmp2)), which I expect would do more
or less what you want.

> I am doing this to attempt to optionally use Pcase for destructuring in
> a macro that I am writing.

`pcase-let` already does destructuring, so could you explain in a bit
more detail what kind of destructuring you're looking for (and why)?

        Stefan