Re: Force directory recompile

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Force directory recompile
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 20:29:59 +0100

On Thu, Mar 18 2021, Tim Johnson wrote:
> Using GNU Emacs 27.1 on ubuntu 20.04
> with the following code:
>
> emacs --batch --eval '(byte-recompile-directory "~/.emacs.d")'
>
> fails to recompile anything.

As mentioned in the documentation for `byte-recompile-directory`, it only
recompiles `.el` files if a) there is a corresponding `.elc` file and b) that
`.elc` file is older than the `.el` file. I assume either or both conditions
aren't met. If the second condition is met, simply using `touch` on the source
files should do the trick.

> Since I am moving to a new machine with a different emacs version
> I anticipate that it is important to recompile all packages I.E. *.el files.

If you use `package.el`, you should be able to reinstall all your packages using
`package-install-selected-packages`.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments