Re: How to debug memory leaks

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: How to debug memory leaks
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 18:01:14 +0300

* Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> [2021-03-25 17:24]:
> >> It's unlikely.
> > Yet, it happened--more than once (did you notice that I said "my Emacs
> > setup" and not "Emacs"?). The good news: it's not happening anymore :)
>
> "unlikely" that this is a memory leak.  Not unlikely that it happens.
>
> > Mono font, and Emacs behaved well. It was really loading the TAGS which
> > added like 400 MB on the stack (virtual and resident--yeah, sounds unlikely,
> > right?). Therefore, I went to look for an alternative.
>
> Using a lot of memory is not the same as having a memory leak.
>
> When you take a bath you will typically consume several hundred liters
> of water.  Would you call that a leak?

:-)

My water tank is leaking if somebody can help...

But memory is also not "leaking", so chips are normally there and
remain usable for next time. Leaking is probably when it goes out of
defined containment. But what is the containment?

We had a long thread on this and tried to debug but I do not know how
it ended, I have done my best.

What I can observe now since I switched from Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre
to Parabola GNU/Linux-libre is that my Emacs uptime is more than 9
days. And I do use helm and helm-system-packages, as when I used those
previously I had such a huge swapping and impossibility to use the OS
to the point that I had to shut it down physically.

So maybe that memory effects, whatever they are, leaking, plumbing,
I do not observe it now, but who knows...

Jean