Re: How to debug memory leaks

From: edgar
Subject: Re: How to debug memory leaks
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 17:54:43 +0000

From:   Stefan Monnier
> So maybe that memory effects, whatever they are, leaking, plumbing,
> I do not observe it now, but who knows...

Call it "excessive memory use".  That term even has the advantage of
including a notion of personal judgment (in the term "excessive") which
indeed reflects the fact that maybe this is not the result of a bug, but
you still find it excessive (and other people may disagree without
making your judgment wrong since it's just an opinion).

The risk of leaving an unfruitful discussion is to let others think that a point has been made which could possibly influence or confuse outsiders and have unexpected adverse consequenes.

May be "management" is a better term, but obviously Stefan has a different idea of "leak" (I guess as related to memory injection--I don't know, and would not like to add yet another level of needless argument). I did write

    I think that it is leaking memory

which implies that I did not know if that was certain. I apologise for any misconstrued conclusions from my statement

    It seems that font leaking is a common issue as well

I meant that, in general terms, /font leaking has been found by other users to happen as well/. If by the end of:

find(ing) and correct(ing) the memory leak, or point me in the right direction

it would have been found that there was no such leak, the conclusion would have been something like: oh, this was not a leak. However, we cannot really conclude this, because the debugging process never happened. Whether it was a leak or not is completely uncertain; I just replaced the pieces which I thought that were using memory excessively.

The point which is meant is that a process running in Emacs was probably using memory, did not liberate that memory after it finished, and used more memory the next time it was used, all of which consumed a lot of RAM and swap memory until the computer froze.

Can we leave it at that? It would have been nice to learn how to debug this, but we all have higher priorities, I think.

Again, thank you very much. I really enjoy my Emacs, and I owe it to you people :D .