Re: How to debug memory leaks

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: How to debug memory leaks
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 05:48:04 +0000

edgar <edgarlux@cryptolab.net> writes:

>  From:  Jean Louis
>> I have 2 pictures attached on what happens sometimes on my side.
>>
>> Is that maybe font leaking? It looks like some fonts leaked somewhere
>> and I don't know where... there is hole somewhere...
>
> I think that Stefan already kind of gave a hint on this being a
> cumbersome task. If you want to try, may be you can help yourself with
> the link that I posted originally (where they show how to deal with this
> types of issues, especially a font leak). Bonne chance! :D .

About your problem Edgar....

I think you mentioned a while ago that you use shell-mode.  In that mode
Emacs keeps a buffer with all of the shell activity in it.  By default
it doesn't remove anything, at least on my Emacs.

Some programs give out a lot of text on standard output.  These programs
can make your shell buffers very large and cause them to consume lots of
memory.

In the Emacs manual it gives ways of limiting the size of these buffers.

BR,
Robert Thorpe