Re: [solved]: Re: Finding last *Async Shell Command* buffer?

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [solved]: Re: Finding last *Async Shell Command* buffer?
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 14:48:49 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2021-03-26 14:34]:
> > Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 14:26:13 +0300
> > From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
> > Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> > > You are wrong.  I use it locally to refer to the many Info buffers I
> > > have in my sessions.
> >
> > Sure, that is clear. I also refer to buffers like that. But how they
> > get assigned their number on the end like *Async Shell Command*<141>
> > it does not matter, so it could be 39 or 175, it does not matter.
>
> Doesn't matter for your use case.  But not necessarily for others.

I wish I could understand the practical usage you describe.

I have also buffers with numbers like *Hyperscope*<14> when handling
database entries, each new set is opened in a new buffer, but I do not
access them by number, although I could. However, what number exactly
comes there and if it is number of flower, I do not mind. maybe
somebody would be noting down on paper which number it is. That seem
more difficult. I am browsing those buffers or closing them.

For me it was important how to reach to some of those async buffers,
it is not really generally related to generation of unused numbers in
a series of existing numbers. Though I cannot see why is that so:

Example of existing buffers:

1, 2, 5, 8, and 10

Now new buffers are created: 3, 4, 6, 7, and 9.

I cannot see why is that method practical, I wish I could. When buffer
3 is created there are still unused numbers, and there is no trace for
the user to know that buffer 3 was created. There is also nothing in
the message buffer.

Currently programmer cannot know that buffer with exact number <3> was
created when a system command is invoked by using M-&.

I was too often using M-! to run external command so that I can see
the output thereafter and pausing my Emacs work for seconds or minutes
just because I did not want to search for the *Async Shell
Command*<NUMBER> buffer where output could be found from specific
command.

Specifically for `async-shell-command' creating buffers with numbers
is not much useful as accessing those buffers is difficult.

I would rather like that buffers are named by the system command
invoked, for example:

*Async Shell Command: gimp*
*Async Shell Command: gimp*<1>
*Async Shell Command: evolution*
*Async Shell Command: geary*
*Async Shell Command: gpxsee*

as that way it would be possible to easier find the output from system
commands invoked over M-&

Jean