Re: [solved]: Re: Finding last *Async Shell Command* buffer?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [solved]: Re: Finding last *Async Shell Command* buffer?
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 15:37:48 +0300

> Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 14:48:49 +0300
> From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> > > Sure, that is clear. I also refer to buffers like that. But how they
> > > get assigned their number on the end like *Async Shell Command*<141>
> > > it does not matter, so it could be 39 or 175, it does not matter.
> >
> > Doesn't matter for your use case.  But not necessarily for others.
>
> I wish I could understand the practical usage you describe.

Why do you need to understand it?  Isn't it clear, up front, that
changing some old behavior runs a clear risk of breaking someone's
habits or code that relies on that behavior?

E.g., suppose that some Lisp program out there relies on the fact that
killing buffer "foo<10>" followed by creating a new buffer "foo"
yields again "foo<10"?  Is such a program not legitimate?

> Currently programmer cannot know that buffer with exact number <3> was
> created when a system command is invoked by using M-&.

Of course, he can: just scan the numbers in use, and you will know
which number will be used next.