Re: How to debug memory leaks

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: How to debug memory leaks
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 17:32:54 +0100

>> No, no, I don't mean that some modes don't need undo. I mean, if I am
>> working in a buffer, say some C file, and I think Emacs get sluggish, I
>> could do some M-x clean-buffer and have it setq bunch of variables to
>> nil, amongst them undo so GC can collect them. It is just that these
>> variables might be different depending of type of buffer, active modes
>> etc.
>
> I suspect that it would be "ineffective by design":

It is inspired by 3D modelling/animation packages. They usually keep an
undo stack of transformation matrices for models, materials etc. Since
it quite fast becomes lots of data, they usually have something like
"freeze transforms" or "clean scene" etc. One that I worked with used
modified TCL interpretter with garbage collector to manage the scene
graph, which is similar appliclation architecture to Emacs + Lisp.

> in order to realize
> that such-and-such setting might solve a performance problem, you'll
> generally need first to be aware of that performance problem, and
> usually once you're aware of it you can just fix the problem itself.

Yes, that is why I ment a hook that will be avaialble for mode writers
to put potential "cleanup" into since users probably don't know and
should not need to know the details.

I used undo history as example, but I ment bunch of other stuff. No idea
how much it would give in practice though.