Re: How to debug memory leaks

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: How to debug memory leaks
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2021 09:20:40 +0100

>> Yes, that is why I ment a hook that will be avaialble for mode writers
>> to put potential "cleanup" into since users probably don't know and
>> should not need to know the details.
>
> What I meant is that if the mode's writer knows that this variable can
> be a source of problem, he can just as well fix those problem (or
> report the problem and have someone else fix the problem).

"Source of a problem" is probably a bit too heavy expression :). For
example if I have had a file with lots of undo history, I wouldn't say
it was a source of a problem, but I might decide that I wish to get rid
of the undo history, and start it from clean, without killing the buffer
and opening it a new.

>> I used undo history as example, but I ment bunch of other stuff. No idea
>> how much it would give in practice though.
>
> So, there's no concrete existing example of stuff that could be added to
> this "cleanup hook" :-(

I was trying to reason in terms of a general facility. What do I know
what people use, no idea what can be "throwable" in different modes.