Re: How to debug memory leaks

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: How to debug memory leaks
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2021 16:30:33 +0100

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> What we have instead is `M-x profiler-start/report` which
> should(?) let you find out what is the source of the
> sluggishness. Similarly we have a `M-x memory-report` for
> excessive memory use.

OT (?): remember playing games? You never had the required
computer RAM and stuff but that was solved by downgrading the
graphics in particular, reducing the amount of details etc, and
suddenly it went really fast! And then even the guys that had
really strong computers got envious because even if it worked
great for them it still didn't have that "snap" which you had
achieved by all the methods applied at once (or
simultaneously).

So is there a way to downgrade Emacs in much the same way?

What happens with -Q?

Can't we have:

$ emacs                                    \
    --not-module "uwe-brauer-mac-os-hacks" \
    --not-module "jeans-super-key"         \
    etc etc

and then you could experiment what was needed and not for you?

Downsides to that are easy to see but would that increase the
speed, i.e. the interactive feel?

What is it that -Q removes? but it is too much

$ emacs -Qp 0.5 # Q percent, only remove 50% of what -Q does?

A file of Elisp that is not used, why should that slow
down anything? It really does? If so, why?

E.g., I don't move around in my apartment slower for every
book I put in my bookshelf...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal