Re: Control of fan-speed on Lenovo Thinkpads

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Control of fan-speed on Lenovo Thinkpads
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 12:42:05 +0300

* Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> [2021-03-30 11:13]:
> Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:
>
> Hi,
>
> > (defun sudo (arguments)
> >   "Executes list ARGUMENTS with system command `sudo'."
> >   (let* ((command (format "sudo su -c -- root -c \"%s\"" (string-join (list
> > arguments))))
> >      (return (shell-command-to-string command)))
> >     return))
>
> This could be

(defun sudo (&rest arguments)
  "Executes list ARGUMENTS with system command `sudo'."
  (let ((default-directory "/sudo::"))
    (shell-command-to-string (string-join arguments " "))))

thank you. I will keep it for future considerations. I think it works
slower as it invokes tramp and many other functions in background. Is
there any practical benefit?

I have tried using that function with (sudo "ls") and first I got the
~/tmp directory listing, then in second invokation, I got only "bin"
listing, as it changed to default directory to be /root where I have
"bin" only.

My function would not change default-directory to /root -- maybe that
is result of using default-directory, and it remains so maybe for the
rest of tramp session. Try it out, it makes no sense to be changed.

Your function that involves Tramp processes:

(sudo "ls") → "admin_Leo
babel-6KitXT
babel-cyz28q
babel-YJWc0L
babel-ZlWVex"

this is because I invoked editing of email message file in ~/tmp

but on second invokation, without changing anything, few seconds thereafter:

(sudo "ls") → "bin
"

(sudo "pwd") → "/root
"

This could be a bug, I do not know why should default directory be
changed to "/root" if I am not root, but used /sudo::

(defun sudo (arguments)
  "Executes list ARGUMENTS with system command `sudo'."
  (let* ((command (format "sudo su -c -- root -c \"%s\"" (string-join (list
arguments))))
         (return (shell-command-to-string command)))
    return))

(sudo "ls") → " 0install-ea1f1e-download
 847cf980479cf1dd15482464efa8620ca98c1c93c5a3ac1e2a1dd24918b9cd46.html
 adb.1001.log
 ... and others in ~/tmp

 "
Repeated (sudo "ls") shows same thing, without tramp.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns