Re: Reviewing versioned backups

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Reviewing versioned backups
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 13:16:43 +0300

* Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> [2021-03-30 12:29]:
> Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> writes:
>
> > Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
> >
> >> This is interesting, but doesn't ~git~ fit my use-case, as I don't
> >> always use Git as my VCS and I use a lot of unversioned files.
> >
> > You could still use Git/Magit it but it would need some setup.  You
> > could, for example, instruct `backup-directory-alist' to assign backups
> > a special directory, make it a Git repository, and instruct Emacs to
> > commit each new backup automatically.
>
> But this wouldn't give me a direct overview of all backup versions, it
> would just version the backups. What I am looking for is making use of
> versioned backups, that can easily be reviewed. I was wondering for the
> longest time why there is no interface for versioned backups.

Since you mentioned it, I had similar problem, but already had
database based backup system for database entries. Now I have extended
it that I can backup files, buffers and database entries in a single
database table. It is work in progress, not yet ready for public due
to few other files missing. But it can be done when I have time.

Emacs: RCD Version Control system with PostgreSQL backend
https://hyperscope.link/3/6/7/9/6/Emacs-RCD-Version-Control-system-with-PostgreSQL-backend-36796.html

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns