Re: Reviewing versioned backups

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Reviewing versioned backups
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 21:56:48 -0400

> I once tried to live with versioned backups myself but I gave up because
> it used too much space.  My .gnu-emacs is nearly 1 MByte, a thousand
> saves are reached quickly, and you want to keep versions for a long
> time.  After having used up several GBytes in a suprising short period
> of time I chose a different approach.  IMO handling this with a VCS is
> the better approach.

Agreed.  I suspect it would make sense to offer something akin to
Magit's `wip` using SRC.

        Stefan

PS: I personally find the behavior of versioned backups unsatisfactory
    also because of the granularity (too coarse for my taste).
    I'd probably want to create new revisions quite frequently (maybe
    not at every save, since I tend to do `C-x C-s` more often than
    needed, but maybe at every save with some grace period between
    revisions).