Re: Why use CTL-x CTL-c to quit instead of CTL-x CTL-q?

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Why use CTL-x CTL-c to quit instead of CTL-x CTL-q?
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2021 23:52:30 +0300

* Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> [2021-04-06 18:16]:
> Skip Montanaro <skip.montanaro@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > P.S. Do vi/vim users wonder why its key bindings don't correspond more
> > strongly to common Windows, Mac or Unix/Linux interface standards? I
> > rarely need to use vim, but if they changed the quit command (:q or
> > :q!) I'd be completely lost. How would I ever get back to the shell
> > prompt? Oh, right, C-z followed by kill(1).
>
> I don't think so, as vi(m) is culturally more about the keys than the
> software. People use vi(m) for vi(m), while many use Emacs for {org, magit,
> whatever} and find Emacs to be an obstacle. Or that is at least how I

I expect on every system to have vi available just because Emacs is
not available. That is where trouble starts. Sometimes use to edit
remote files within M-x shell.

If I remember well "vi" stands for "victim":

vi tutorial for beginners:
http://web-old.archive.org/web/20120528000356/http://www.dina.kvl.dk/~abraham/religion/vi-tutorial.html

Editors 101 Menace:
http://web-old.archive.org/web/20120208080648/http://www.dina.kvl.dk/~abraham/religion/editors-101.html

Quote:
======

 All vi commands have nice mnemonics. The mnemonic for leaving vi is:

<ESC>ape this
<COLON> thing,     // The colon-thing is a nickname for vi.
<Q>uit and do
<NOT>              // C slang for `!'.  Here used in the meaning `never'.
<RET>urn.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns