Re: Org mode & "literate programming": including files

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Org mode & "literate programming": including files
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2021 05:54:48 +0200

Bob Heffernan <bob.heffernan@gmail.com> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> I am new to Emacs (as a long-time vim user) so apologies if this
> question has an easy answer, but I've done a bit of searching before
> asking.
>
> I am looking at using org-mode for (a fairly simplistic version of)
> literate programming.  The programming language I'm using is Scheme,
> although this probably doesn't matter.  I've set things up so that
> code blocks share a session:
>
> #+PROPERTY: header-args :session *scheme*
>
> and I can then have several code blocks that work nicely together
> (these would usually be sprinkled throughout the document, of course,
> with text in between):
>
> #+begin_src scheme :results silent
>
>             (define (f n) (+ n 1))
>
>                     #+end_src
> #+begin_src scheme
>   (f 1)
> #+end_src
>
> If I run the code in each block in turn with C-c C-c, which I guess
> calls org-babel-execute-src-block, I get
>
> #+RESULTS:
> : 2
>
> So far so good and this is perfect for simple programs.
>
> However, once things get more complicated I will want to include
> another such org file, as a library as it were. For example, I'd like
> to be able to write a second org file that includes the stuff above
> and now knows what the definition of the procedure f is. I know that
> there is #+INCLUDE but I guess what I really need is to include a file
> and, at the same time, execute all src blocks in that file so that
> they are present in the same session as that of my current file.
>
> To give an example, let's say I'm working on writing solutions to
> Project Euler problems.  After a while, I'll want a little library of
> procedures relating to prime numbers (since these come up a lot) which
> I can include as needed.  It would be nice for this to also be written
> up nicely in org mode.
>
> I asked this question on the emacs subreddit and the library of babel
> was mentioned.  This would work, I guess, but isn't quite what I'm
> looking for.  Somebody else mentioned "transclusion" which seems
> perhaps more powerful than what I'm looking for.  It seems like this
> should be a common problem to solve, but Google hasn't found anything
> for me.

I saw your question on reddit, and I saw somebody already posted you an
answer. You are looking for `org-babel-lob-ingest`.

Check the SX link posted to you on Reddit, it has what you are asking for:

https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/31999/config-examples-and-use-cases-of-library-of-babel

Hope it works for you and don't forgett to say thanks to the guy on Reddit.