Unicode Data Base: Sweden, Germany, Poland, Russia, Ukraine, and Japan

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Unicode Data Base: Sweden, Germany, Poland, Russia, Ukraine, and Japan
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 15:55:48 +0200

    <incal> OK so the Swedes and Germans are mostly
            responsible for the, in your words, present
            terrible situation in Poland?

    <incal> do _you_ think that _is_ the reason?

     <amix> 80%, yes

    <incal> oki :) case closed

    <incal> wait, what are the other 20% you think?

    [...]

    <incal> amix, OK for Poland, maybe you are right, maybe
            not, heck do I know. only... Russia (Ukraine etc)
            was to a huge extent destroyed by the Germans one
            would agree. then it was their turn, and everyone
            else's (the bombings, Dresden etc), to destroy
            Germany. and what about Japan that were blasted
            clean virtually by US bombardment? even using the
            A-bombs, twice?

     <amix> ¯\_(x )_/¯ [1]

     [here everybody had to stop, take a deep breath, and
      think. ikr? what ARE these chars?]

    <incal> this ¯ is called a MACRON, old name SPACING MACRON

    <incal> this - is called a HYPHEN-MINUS, old name isn't
            even a dash!

    <incal> this _ is called a LOW LINE, old name not even an
            underscore but a SPACING UNDERSCORE

    <incal> zzap and zembix, you follow this development?

     <zzap> what is that, keysymdef.h?

    <incal> it is Emacs' `describe-char'

    <incal> zzap, "the character's canonical name and other
            properties defined by the Unicode Data Base"

So the question is - how does that work, what is the
connection and so on, how do you download (?), parse etc (??),
and access that database???

[1] The "x" in that one-liner ASCII-art history discussion
    argument is actually, according to the mentioned Emacs
    function, KATAKANA LETTER TU. I replaced it by an
    x because it seems in particular KATAKANA LETTER TU cannot
    be displyed properly in an Emacs instance running in the
    console, i.e. a tty or a Linux VT.

Note: Subject line countries appear in the order of
      appearance. NO! I mean in the order in which they appear
      in the letter. Let's do an alpha sort just to be safe:

        Germany
        Japan
        Poland
        Russia
        Sweden
        Ukraine

Note 2: By "alpha" I mean alphabetical order, not like the
        "alpha male" or anything like that. But just to be
        safe, let's do an... oh christ almighty, this is
        killing me.

Note 3: Let's just put it like this. The Swedes are THE VERY,
        VERY BEST, OK? if we are to believe amix, we are even
        responsible for 80% of Poland's perceived and/or real
        misery to this very day! You know, that actually
        sounds like us, doesn't it when you think about it?
        When we set or task at something, we like to get it
        done. you know, for real... THORorly!

Note 4: ...

--
underground experts united