Re: Consult some suggestions for adjusting keyboard shortcuts to bind co

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: Consult some suggestions for adjusting keyboard shortcuts to bind conflicts.
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 08:22:50 +0800

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 10:26 PM Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> wrote:

> > On Ubuntu 20.04, I use fcitx input framework, which use Ctr + SPC to
> > trigger input method and Saladict which use Alt + s to call its
> > standalone panel.
> >

> In general, it's not a good idea to use other programs when you use Emacs.
> Your operating system should be a bootloader for Emacs. ;-)
>
> Joking aside:
>

> > But all the above key bindings have been predefined in Emacs. Could you
> > please give me some suggestions on adjusting keyboard shortcuts to avoid
> > binding conflicts?
> >

> That depends on your preferences.  Either you want/can change the bindings
> used by other programs, or you change the bindings used by Emacs.
>
> If the choose the former, the problem is that Emacs puts commands on
> almost all keys.  You can however safely use the function keys: F5 to F9
> will by convention never be predefined by Emacs, the commands on F1 to F4
> are available elsewhere, and F9 and F12 are AFAIK not used by Emacs.  F10
> and F11 are used by Emacs however, and their commands are not available
> elsewhere by default.
>
> If you choose the latter, you have the same problem: you have to move the
> commands to some free key, and there aren't many, especially if you want
> to use the same bindings in a terminal.  But you can also safely use the
> functions keys, and the C-c LETTER bindings, which are by convention
> reserved for users.

For the shortcut keys of the input method, another alternative is to
disable the fcitx input method, and use emaca oriented/tailed internal
input method, say, this one,
<https://github.com/DogLooksGood/emacs-rime>, when working within
emacs>. But I don't know to disable/overwrite the external application
invocation with the one defined by Emacs itself, when click on the
corresponding key sequence from within Emacs.

Regards
Theory and Simulation of Materials
Hebei Polytechnic University of Science and Technology engineering
NO. 552 North Gangtie Road, Xingtai, China