Re: Unicode Data Base: Sweden, Germany, Poland, Russia, Ukraine, and Jap

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Unicode Data Base: Sweden, Germany, Poland, Russia, Ukraine, and Japan
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 09:13:00 +0200

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 11:14:25PM +0200, Emanuel Berg via Users list for the
GNU Emacs text editor wrote:

> >> Thanks, how does it happen from Emacs?
> >
> > You're welcome. What do you mean by "it" and by "happens"?
> > Finding the URL? Downloading the database? Something else?
>
> When Emacs shows output with `describe-char' and it says in
> the docstring it gets it from a database:
>
>    the character's canonical name and other properties defined
>    by the Unicode Data Base

(sorry, fell asleep last night)

You mean: how do those things get into Emacs?

For this, I did a trick I like to do when I barely know what I'm
doing.

 - first, find an Unicode codepoint name which is somewhat
   distinctive (meaning: a string not likely to appear
   "spontaneously" out there by some strange genetic coincidence).
   I went with "REVERSED QUESTION MARK".

 - grep the Emacs sources for it (M-x grep find is my friend.
   It wants to be yours ;-)
   You do have the Emacs sources around, don't you?

And here it is:

  admin/unidata/UnicodeData.txt

There is a README file in that directory explaining where (and when)
all those files come from.

Or is it something else you are after?

Cheers
 - t