Re: displaying missing glyphs

From: Leo Butler
Subject: Re: displaying missing glyphs
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 12:08:08 -0500

Andreas Eder <a_eder_muc@web.de> writes:

> On Fr 09 Apr 2021 at 11:32, Leo Butler <leo.butler@umanitoba.ca> wrote:
>
>> I use `emacs -nw` inside of screen inside of uxterm. Unfortunately, many
>> unicode glyphs are not displayed correctly (although they are if I
>> attach the screen session in gnome-terminal, for example).
>>
>> In emacs/elisp, how might I override the default empty box to display
>> something more informative?
>
> The problem is - most likely - a font that is not unicode capable.
> If you set uxterm to ise the same font as gnome-terminal then it should
> work.
> The same combination (uxterm, screen and emacs) works perfectly well
> here.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have attached a marked-up screen shot of an
xterm (left) and gnome-terminal running `emacsclient -nw` and showing
the same buffer. You can see there is a noticeable clipping of some of
the characters in the xterm.

According to lsof, gnome-terminal is using

 /usr/share/fonts/truetype/dejavu/DejaVuSansMono.ttf

so the xterm has been run using

xterm -fa 'DejaVuSansMono' -fs 9

(and all font-related options are commented out in ~/.Xdefaults).

FWIW, this is on a debian testing system with XTERM_LOCALE=en_US.UTF-8.

Leo