Re: Consult some suggestions for adjusting keyboard shortcuts to bind co

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: Consult some suggestions for adjusting keyboard shortcuts to bind conflicts.
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 23:23:28 +0100

Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 3:07 PM Robert Thorpe
> <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > On Ubuntu 20.04, I use fcitx input framework, which use Ctr + SPC to
>> > trigger input method and Saladict which use Alt + s to call its
>> > standalone panel.
>> >
>> > But all the above key bindings have been predefined in Emacs. Could
>> > you please give me some suggestions on adjusting keyboard shortcuts to
>> > avoid binding conflicts?
>>
>> I'm not sure which way around you want to deal with the problem.
>>
>> I'm presuming you want to move the mappings in Emacs that Emacs uses for
>> C-SPC and M-s.
>
> Or some suggestions to keep the Emacs key bindings as they are, but
> instead, resolve conflicting by changing the  other applications'
> predefined key bindings.
>
>> Do you use Emacs in the terminal?
>
> May or may not.

In that case I also think the keys I mentioned are the best.  Those are
* C-;
* C-,
* C-'
* C-=
* C-+

Here is why....  Those keys don't work on terminal emulators, at least
not without significant configuration of the emulator.  So, not only
does Emacs not use them, it's unlikely that the Emacs developers will
start using them for new features.

For example you could map C-; to switch windows in your windowing system
and map C-, to your input method program.

Another poster mentioned the possibility of using both shift keys
pressed together.  I think that's a good idea too since Emacs doesn't
use the binding or differentiate between left and right shift.  (Not by
default, I think it can).

Someone also mentioned the possibility of repurposing M-s.  Now I agree
that there isn't that much useful on M-s.  Personally I use occur (M-s
o) and isearch-forward-symbol (M-s _).  But remember that other things
could be added in the future and you'd be missing out on them.  Of
course, you could move the M-s keymap elsewhere so you can retain those
features but that's extra work.

BR,
Robert Thorpe