Re: Why Gnus is creating .nnmaildir directory in my maildir?

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Why Gnus is creating .nnmaildir directory in my maildir?
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 08:07:46 +0300

* Utkarsh Singh <utkarsh190601@gmail.com> [2021-04-14 07:50]:
> If you don't like Gnus and already use Emacs as an editor I would like
> to recommend Notmuch Emacs interface(1).  You can also checkout my
> configs for notmuch(2).

By contrary I would like Gnus handling maildirs and I would like using
it, but it does not.

I have `mu' tools: https://www.djcbsoftware.nl/code/mu/ and `mu4e' as
`mu' for Emacs is not working well if I choose the first option to
list Maildirs, it never ends trying to list 48000 Maildirs. Because it
uses database, and not file system directly.

My access method to emails is based on the concept of "people" and
"conversations" not search terms, though sometimes, rarely, I will
used indexed database.

For example, if I think of Utkarsh, I press a key, write Uktarsh and I
get 4 people, one of them is Singh, some are Dwivedi, Srivastava,
etc. Even if names would be same, people are sorted into groups, I can
see on in "Emacs Users" group. I press key on that one, and all emails
are opened instantly by using mutt.

They can be opened inside emacs as well by using mutt inside of
Terminal, they can be also opened by using Nic Ferrier's Maildir
package.

It is a directory, it should be possible to list it blazing fast
without problems. Gnus sadly does not do that. I am explaining this as
a concept for people to understand and maybe to implement their own
concepts.

Then I can see all previous conversation or interactions between me
and you in March and April.

Thus any searching by To: or From: fields is redundant, as all what is
needed is to open Maildir/specific-person@example.com/ to read those
emails related to To: and From: fields as all will be stored there
inside after replying and reading them first time.

As first time reply and reading is when such emails are in main
~/Maildir/ folder. Then they get moved into their corresponding
folder.

Maybe this system of Maildir management concept by sorting messages
into Maildirs corresponding to the one email address may help you in a
long run. I use it for quite long time, maybe almost 2 decades.

> [1]: https://notmuchmail.org/notmuch-emacs/
> [2]: https://github.com/utkarsh181/dotfiles/tree/master/notmuch

Thank you I will try again. First time I have tried notmuch it did not
work for me. It could not index, and it was back then something
related to 32/64 bits. Now I will try again as I wish to see which
software works better.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns