Re: What is 0.01 here not 0.01 here 0.009999999999999?

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: What is 0.01 here not 0.01 here 0.009999999999999?
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2021 13:53:04 +0300

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-04-16 23:42]> >
(rcd-vc-increase-decimal-revision-number "10.12") ; 10.129999999999999

> Indeed, good question...
>
> It is a binary thing, how floats are implemented.

That is solved, it increases now, but that is just one way for
versioning. We do not know if it will be versioning for Emacs Lisp, it
just small feature, insignificant. I rather think of changing also the
Version: line inside of Emacs Lisp automatically with the update.

> In your case, if you want a version number that is
> MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH what you can do is have them integer
> integer integer and then a separate function to output them
>
>   (format "%d.%d.%d" major minor patch)

Not that I personally want it at this moment.

> I prefer to use the time of change for versions, but that's
> just me - and what a horrible world it would be, if everyone
> was the same - and for larger/join projects it should/could
> be extended, but still, check out:

You see, I have that, for now new versions of a file are stored in a
database, and the database table has its column named
`vc_datemodified', more important there is also the automated unique
ID or sequence in the database that always increases. It just does not
have adjacent order, but has increasing order of numbers.

The completion candidates then look as this:

Click on a completion to select it.
In this buffer, type RET to select the completion near point.

Possible completions are:
/home/data1/protected/Programming/emacs-lisp/rcd-cf.el ID: 06899 [6899]
/home/data1/protected/Programming/emacs-lisp/rcd-cf.el ID: 06900 [6900]
/home/data1/protected/Programming/emacs-lisp/rcd-cf.el ID: 06909 [6909]
/home/data1/protected/Programming/emacs-lisp/rcd-cf.el ID: 06913 [6913]

The ID is enough, but it is possible to list completion candidates by
date, it would be trivial to get that function. SQL is helping in many
ways.

What I would like now to do as next is finding the previous revisions
of particular function by its name no matter where it is located in a
file. I would find that useful. Interaction would be to just press a
key and get previous versions of the same function for comparison.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/