Re: on how to install gnutls dlls on windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: on how to install gnutls dlls on windows
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2021 19:22:56 +0300

> Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2021 13:12:53 -0300
> From:  Wayne Harris via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
> <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> I don't know how to install this library.  My GNU Emacs 27.1 is a 64-bit
> application.  I have MSYS2 installed and I used PACMAN to install the
> packages
>
>   gnutls-3.7.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
>   libgnutls-3.7.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
>
> As a consequence, I have the following files, among others:

> ./usr/bin/gnutls-cli-debug.exe
> ./usr/bin/gnutls-cli.exe
> ./usr/bin/gnutls-serv.exe
> ./usr/bin/msys-gnutls-30.dll
> ./usr/bin/msys-gnutlsxx-28.dll
> ./var/cache/pacman/pkg/gnutls-3.7.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
> ./var/cache/pacman/pkg/libgnutls-3.7.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
> ./bin/gnutls-cli-debug.exe
> ./bin/gnutls-cli.exe
> ./bin/gnutls-serv.exe
> ./bin/msys-gnutls-30.dll
> ./bin/msys-gnutlsxx-28.dll

You've installed the wrong package: the above is the MSYS GnuTLS,
whereas you need MinGW port of GnuTLS.  Look for a package with
"mingw" in its name.

To install, put the DLLs in the package either in the same directory
where you have the emacs.exe executable, or somewhere on your Path.

>   gnutls-available-p
>
> expects.  It always returns nil to me in GNU Emacs 27.1.  The procedure
> is defined in C source code.

Yes, because the native Windows build of Emacs cannot use MSYS DLLs,
it must have MinGW DLLs.