Re: There is a docker image of GNU Emacs?

From: Corwin Brust
Subject: Re: There is a docker image of GNU Emacs?
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2021 14:49:44 -0500

Hi Emanuel!

On Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 2:30 PM Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU
Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:

> Corwin Brust wrote:
>
> > The top hit I see just now is for Ubuntu. It appears to be
> > less than 20 hours old (ergo. this also includes a recent
> > build of the main branch). You the Dockerfile for 27.2 on
> > GitHub
>
> What's the deal with installing Emacs from Docker?

My use case involves trying out some "Emacs as a Service" types of things
under various versions/builds of Emacs.  In honestly, I'm not sure the draw
toward docker vs native package install (or self-build) for day-to-day
use.  For experimentation (perhaps including try-before-you-buy ;) of a new
Emacs Version) it's quite handy do delete the container and know that your
base system has whatever system libraries it had before, all at their
previous versions and so forth.

> You get the very latestmost commit even on old Emacs?

You would still need to git pull and rebuild manually in the container if
you want something newer than what's current on Dockerhub or whathaveyou.
 I think it's more usual to update the image that use it as a spring-board
for self-building within the container, but my experience is rather limited.

> And after, it is verified: "Now it's confirmed. This really
> is Emacs."

There be GNUS here!  😂