Re: on how to install gnutls dlls on windows

From: Wayne Harris
Subject: Re: on how to install gnutls dlls on windows
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2021 18:40:05 -0300

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2021 13:44:36 -0300
>> From: Wayne Harris via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
>> <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>>
>> %ls lib*
>> libgnutls-30.dll
>> libgnutlsxx-28.dll
>> libhogweed-6.dll
>> libidn2-0.dll
>> libnettle-8.dll
>> libpng-config
>> libpng16-config
>> libunistring-2.dll
>> %
>>
>> I ran another emacs instance (through runemacs.exe), but
>>
>>   gnutls-available-p
>
> First, make sure you have _all_ the dependencies of libgnutls-30.dll
> available.  E.g., run the Dependency Walker on libgnutls-30.dll and
> see that it finds all the dependency DLLs.  If needed, add more
> dependency DDLs to that directory.

I didn't go this route yet --- see below why.

> If that doesn't help, maybe your Emacs was built without GnuTLS
> support?  Where did you get the Emacs binary?  And what does the
following produce inside Emacs:

>   M-: system-configuration-features RET

It produces this:

"XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY W32NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2
HARFBUZZ ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER LCMS2
GMP"

> Btw, how do you invoke gnutls-available-p, exactly?

I invoke it by saying

   (gnutls-available-p) C-x C-e

(*) Here's what I discovered

I didn't expect the PATH to be involved here, but here's how to get it
to work invoking it through cmd.exe:

C:\Users\x>cd \sys\emacs\bin

C:\sys\emacs\bin>set PATH=c:/sys/emacs/usr/mingw/mingw64/bin/

C:\sys\emacs\bin>echo %PATH%
c:/sys/emacs/usr/mingw/mingw64/bin/

C:\sys\emacs\bin>emacs -Q

  *scratch* buffer: (gnutls-available-p) C-x C-e
  Minibuffer says: (ClientHello\ Padding Key\ ...)
  C-x C-c

C:\sys\emacs\bin>

So it seems that I can fix the problem by adding that directory to my
PATH.  Indeed, doing that makes it all work.  I don't get it, though.  I
didn't know PATH was used to search for DLLs.