Re: don't understand setq-default

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: don't understand setq-default
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 00:59:36 +0300

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-04-18 17:20]:
> >> OK, that explains it, buffer local values, I can't even
> >> keep track of the buffers...
> >
> > I have used it 8 times, maybe change to setq to force
> > everywhere...
>
> Worst thing that can happen, it will show, where I need even
> more force...
>
> Wait, I sense there is something wrong with this thinking...
>
> with setq, global var
>
> with setq-default default val for var if not buffer-local
>
> how do you look for the buffer-local var?

Here is how I have defined a buffer local variable:

(defvar-local rcd-tabulated-marked-items nil
  "Collects IDs for tabulated list modes")
(put 'rcd-tabulated-marked-items 'permanent-local t)

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/