Re: don't understand setq-default

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: don't understand setq-default
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 09:52:18 +0300

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-04-19 06:50]> Gets soo complicated this just so
you can have a bunch of
> buffer instances store some metadata that is common but
> individual. OK, maybe helpful sometimes, sounds like it...

That is what I use all the time over here, for example I search for
people, I can get list of 13 people and mark them, store their ID
numbers in a variable that is same as in other buffer.

In other buffer maybe I mark 2 of them and wish to move them from one
list to other by using buffer, similar like copy/rename in dired.

Let us say there are 2 buffers, you wish to mark 3 people in the list
in one buffer and 4 people in the list in other buffer, but you don't
want to mix them. Their marks go into individual or buffer local
variables that are named same but are different from buffer to buffer.

Buffer 1 would have 3 people with ID numbers like 1, 2 and 3.

Buffer 2 would have 4 people with ID numbers like 23, 28 and 29.

In both cases variable is named `marked-people'

It is possible to switch program execution to other buffer, fetch
those values and switch back.

This may be useful when one needs to merge some information, copy or
rename, probably for many other uses.

One could for example browse a database from Singapore in one buffer,
and other from New York in other buffer and decide to merge some
entries.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns