Re: don't understand setq-default

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: don't understand setq-default
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 15:39:26 +0200

Omar Polo wrote:

> It was a contrived example, sorry. It is 7 because inside
> the (with-current-buffer ...) I did a (setq-default my-var
> 'foo), and that affected the global value.

I understand now, I think it was a pretty good example
actually. Why don't you keep it and possibly extend it with
more examples that you might stumble upon, or if someone asks
the same thing again...

> Two more points:
>
>  - re space vs tabs: I didn't want to make an argument on
>    that, I was only saying that for some buffer you *may*
>    prefer to have tabs and in other plain spaces, but that
>    it's up to the user, buffer-local variables are away to
>    implement such behaviour.

Yes, so two use cases so far, fine-tuning specific behavior
and the buffer instance metadata, if you will...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal