more issues with setq-local

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: more issues with setq-local
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 17:10:07 +0200

So, how do you do set `fill-column' to 62 everywhere in Emacs?

`setq' sets it buffer-locally.

And `setq-default' sets it where it isn't set!

But do I set it where it is set? I am to hunt down these
buffers manually?

Observe the below [last] Elisp. We see/understand that
fill-column isn't of the "buffer instance metadata" use case.
It is just normal data. If one wants that different in
different parts of Emacs, why don't you do as `message-mode'
and get your own variable?

So yeah, what do you do if you just want to set it to
something, everywhere?

(require 'message)
(let ((fill-col 62))
  (setq         fill-column fill-col) ; only sets it in this buffer since
"Automatically becomes buffer-local when set."
  (setq-default fill-column fill-col) ; sets it where it isn't set
  (setq message-fill-column fill-col) ; no problem since not auto buffer-local
  )

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal