emacs 27.2 AND 27.1 on Windows-10 transiently stop recognizing C-SPC and

From: Jason Vas Dias
Subject: emacs 27.2 AND 27.1 on Windows-10 transiently stop recognizing C-SPC and sometimes \e (ESC) key strokes
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 17:26:38 +0100

Good day -

 Has anyone seen this issue / could anyone please offer some advice on
 how to solve:

 I am using Emacs 27.2 on a Windows-10 x86_64 build 20H2 Qemu/KVM VM
 under Fedora-32, all up-to-date with both Windows & Fedora updates
 at time of writing.

 I mainly use Linux but need to maintain a Windows App for work -
 emacs 27.1, and now 27.2, for Windows 10 x86_64 generally work great -
 thanks!

 They both start up under the Windows VM processing C-SPC and ESCAPE
 (META) keystrokes fine, but after a while of using (a few days),
 and a few Sleep / Suspend & Wakeup iterations, Emacs stops
 receiving (or translating?) the keystrokes
 for the <CONTROL>+<SPACE> keystroke, which normally activates
 'set-mark-command', and sometimes loses the <ESC> escape key also .
 This state persists across multiple Emacs run / shutdown cycles.

 I have to reboot the Windows VM to regain access to Emacs' C-SPC &
 ESCAPE/META handling features - Emacs just does not seem to be getting
 those keystrokes at all when it gets into this state.

 All the key bindings have remained unchanged since startup, and
 Emacs still says when I manually type 'set-mark-command' that
 I can run this command using 'C-SPC', only when I press <CTRL>+<SPACE>
 nothing happens; it also still honors <ALT> as the meta-key, but no
 longer ESCAPE .

 I am not sure if I pressed some hotkey that can somehow make changes
 to the Windows or Qemu-KVM or Fedora XFCE or X Input Method or Keyboard
 configuration for the Windows-VM Window, but their (GB-UK) keyboard
 configurations look like they remain unchanged and I can still type C-SPC
 and ESCAPE in emacs for Linux under XFCE with no problems.

 Is there any Windows program other than emacs that will show me if
 <CTRL>+<SPACE> and/or <ESC> keystroke events are being generated in the
 Windows VM ?
 Event Viewer does not seem to be capable of showing keystroke events,
 I did spend a while googling for a keyboard event viewer for Windows,
 with no luck.

 I did find the excellent W3M keystroke viewer,
 @ https://w3c.github.io/uievents/tools/key-event-viewer.html :

 This excerpt from the above webpage's  display table shows
 a <CONTROL>+<SPACE> sequence being generated OK on the Windows VM,
 when Emacs gets into the state where it is ignoring C-SPC:

Legacy  Modifiers       UI Events
#       Event type      charCode        keyCode which   getModifierState
shift   ctrl    alt     meta    key     code    location        repeat
isComposing     inputType       data    Input field
245     keyup   0       17Control       17      -       ✗       ✗       ✗
✗       Control ControlLeft     LEFT    ✗       ✗       -       -       ' '
244     keyup   0       32      32      Control ✗       ✓       ✗       ✗
        Space   0       ✗       ✗       -       -       ' '
243     keyup   0       32      32      Control ✗       ✓       ✗       ✗
        Space   0       ✗       ✗       -       -       ' '
242     keyup   0       32      32      Control ✗       ✓       ✗       ✗
        Space   0       ✗       ✗       -       -       ' '
241     keyup   0       32      32      Control ✗       ✓       ✗       ✗
        Space   0       ✗       ✗       -       -       ' '
240     keyup   0       32      32      Control ✗       ✓       ✗       ✗
        Space   0       ✗       ✗       -       -       ' '
239     keyup   0       32      32      Control ✗       ✓       ✗       ✗
        Space   0       ✗       ✗       -       -       ' '
238     keydown 0       17Control       17      Control ✗       ✓       ✗
✗       Control ControlLeft     LEFT    ✗       ✗       -

 So Windows is processing the C-SPC, Emacs is not .

 Is there some low-level debug mode I can put emacs into where it
 will show me its key-stroke processing in the most gory detail ?

 Where is the Debug Info for the Windows Emacs-27.2 version I downloaded
 via the GNU Emacs (http://gnu.org/software/emacs) Download page site:
  http://mirror.koddos.net/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-27/emacs-27.2-x86_64.zip
 ?

 I would need this in order to debug the low-level emacs key-stroke
 handling with the eLisp Debugger, no ?

 Maybe you could put the debug-info enabled windpws binaries & pdb files
 on the Emacs Download site too please, so eLisp Debugging will work with
 them ?

Thanks in advance for any helpful responses, & Best Regards,

Jason Vas Dias