Re: on how to install gnutls dlls on windows

From: Wayne Harris
Subject: Re: on how to install gnutls dlls on windows
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 15:08:49 -0300

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

> Wayne Harris via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

>>> Emacs loads certain dlls at runtime, only when you use a feature that
>>> requires them.
>>
>> Hm, I thought all DLLs were equivalent to UNIX shared objects.  But I
>> guess DLL means both shared object and those archives whose names always
>> end in ``.a'' as in ``mylib.a'' to be linked against at link-time.
>
> foo.dll.a is an import library, a helper file that is used by the linker to
> know that such and such symbol is defined in foo.dll.

Instead of asking a hundred further questions, let me do this right and
educate myself properly.  I have a UNIX background, not a Windows one.
What (book [hopefully]) should I read to understand the Windows side of
things that usually goes on in this context we are --- Emacs for
Windows, msys2 and such?  (If it's written by someone who a UNIX
background, that'll be even better.  I'm definitely going to reduce all
Windows matters to UNIX primitives, as I was trying to do above.)

Thank you!