Re: How can I automatically determine the best frame-height?

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: How can I automatically determine the best frame-height?
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 23:50:45 +0200

On Tue, Apr 20 2021, David Karr wrote:
> Is there a better way to do this, so it will just automatically size itself
> so that the top is at the top of the screen, and the bottom is snug against
> the status bar?

Can't you simply maximise the frame? You can achieve this automatically by
putting the following in your init file:

    (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(fullscreen . maximized))

If you're running Emacs 27, it's even better to put it in `early-init.el`.

> I normally run this on Cygwin, but I run the same .emacs file on my Ubuntu
> VM running on the same laptop.

It should work for both. TBH, though, I do not know (and cannot test) whether
this will cause the Emacs frame to cover the OS's status bar/panel/dock
(whatever it's called).

HTH

--
Joost Kremers