Re: How can I automatically determine the best frame-height?

From: Wayne Harris
Subject: Re: How can I automatically determine the best frame-height?
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 16:42:55 -0300

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> * Wayne Harris via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
> <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2021-04-21 18:07]:
>> David Karr <davidmichaelkarr@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > In my .emacs file, I have code like the following at the top:
>> > -------------
>> > (set-frame-position (selected-frame) 0 0)
>> > (set-frame-height (selected-frame) 68)
>> > --------------
>> >
>> > I typically run on a Windows 10 laptop, connecting to an external monitor.
>> > The frame height of 68 works out to put the status line just above the
>> > Windows status bar, when connecting to my usual monitor.
>> >
>> > Sometimes, I run the laptop without an external monitor. In that case, that
>> > startup code is a little annoying, as I then have to shrink and move the
>> > window a few times until I get it in the right position.
>> >
>> > Is there a better way to do this, so it will just automatically size itself
>> > so that the top is at the top of the screen, and the bottom is snug against
>> > the status bar?
>>
>> That is annoying.  I use --fullheight on the command line.  This could
>> be useful to you.  At least on Windows it start up with the perfect
>> height for me.
>>
>> However, when I open a new frame, the new frame is taller than its
>> parent.  I don't get why.  All I wish was for the frame to keep the same
>> dimensions as the frame from which I issued the command.
>
> You can put this in your ~/.emacs.d/early-init.el

Can that be site-start.el?

> (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(fullscreen . maximized))

I added it to site-start.el.  It takes effect.  I don't like it
maximized, though.  I just wish it'd stick to the height of the initial
frame, which I set with -fh on the command line.

I looked up the manual and came up with

  (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(height . 0.90))

where 90% is about right for me, but this has the side-effect that the
initial-frame is not full-height any longer, that is, this undoes the
order given by -fh on the command line.