Re: tab-width 4 in markdown major mode

From: Frank Hrebabetzky
Subject: Re: tab-width 4 in markdown major mode
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 22:52:03 +0200

On 21.04.21 19:53, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
Frank Hrebabetzky <hreba@t-online.de> writes:

Hi,

I have been accepting over the years that TAB hardly ever means "go to
the next tabulator stop", but is used for something different in
nearly each major mode. But I am happy with M-i and tab-width 8, which
behave the same way in any mode I have been using so far.

Now I used the markdown mode for the first time and it behaves as if
tab-width was 4. I checked the variable value, and it is 8. Can
somebody tell me how to get this right?

Are you sure, taking a look at the definition of markdown-mode

https://github.com/jrblevin/markdown-mode/blob/master/markdown-mode.el#L9585

it seems to explicitly set the tab-width to 4.

Sorry, you are right. What i tried was C-h tab-width, which tells value 4 and original value 8, and contains a link "customize". This leads to the customization window with an entry mask, but the actual value there is 8. So I don't know how to set the effective value 4 to 8.

--
Frank