Specifying a file in auto-mode-alist

From: Patrick Mahan
Subject: Specifying a file in auto-mode-alist
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 13:25:30 -0700

All,

I have build scripts that capture a build (makefile output) into files
called build*.log or Build*.log. These files may occur at various points in
the directory tree.

However if I use the following:

(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist (quote("build*\\.log'" . compilation-mode)))

When I edit a file say 'build.log' it does not enable compilation mode.

I tried -

(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist (quote("build*\\'" . compilation-mode)))

But that clashes with other files like a0build.h.

I've read the wiki page on auto-mode-alist, but none of the examples are
about how to use filename that starts with 'xyz*.log'.

Thanks,

Patrick