Re: indentation

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: indentation
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 09:30:46 +0000

with ne[w]er version of emacs (I have GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30))

Note that Emacs 25.2 is not a "new" version of Emacs, the current stable version is 27.2.

I'm constantly annoyed by too aggressive automatic indentation when editing. Basically when I press enter, the cursor on the new line is automatically moved to the column of first character of the preceding line. This is in the Fundamental mode.

Yes, the default meaning of RET has changed in Emacs 24.4: electric-indent-mode is enabled by default, which means that RET reindents the current line and indents the next line. You can disable this by adding (electric-indent-mode -1) to your init file.